Using a large list

Hi,

I am in a situation where the SharePoint list that I am using now has approximately 7,000 items. I have index the list columns to improve the performance. The page load times are not quite tolerable ( 20 seconds :expressionless: ) and search doesn't return an auto complete drop down (and no results - throttled of course). So my question is:

• Is there a way that I could combine more than one list ?
  • Any other ideas to improve performance and get the search working.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Farooq

Hi Farooq,

Thank you for your message.

It is correct to add list columns to index to overcome SharePoint list view threshold.

How many group items are rendered at the same time in org chart?
How many levels are expanded by default?

Org Chart queries only required information from SharePoint list. Thus, performance depends on number of items displayed at the same time.

Probably you just need to decrease number of levels displayed at initial load.

Dotted lines manager are slowing org chart down a bit.

Usually boxes are loaded quickly, but if you render a lot of boxes at the same time it may help.

Additionally. We implemented client side caching of On-Premies version and we are going to migrate it to Office 365 version. Client side caching caches org chart data on first load. You can control cache life time. By default it is 24 hours. Thus, org chart will be loaded slower at first load only.

Regarding your question about search. Search uses all non-hidden fields in the list. Thus, adding all of non-hidden fields to index should help.