Add custom document templates to +New on library control

I notice the +New button on the list/library control exposes the "old", fixed selection of dokument types to create.

It would be great if this list could be expanded with customer spesific document templates.
Is there a way of acheiving this?
Thanks.

Hello @geirmat,

What SharePoint version are you using? Online or On-premises?

This SharePoint Online

Hello @geirmat,

Please try out to clear the browser cache and check if templates list is updated or not.

If no, make sure you are using the latest version of the app package and the designer.

You can check the app package version in the app catalog

If it's below 1.0.8.1, you'll need to update the app package. You'll find the instructions here:
Update the app package for Plumsail Forms (SharePoint Online) — SharePoint forms

Then re-save the form and clear the browser cache before checking the templates.

Hi *
All your suggested tasks have been performed, but still the documentlist displays just the core doc MS types.

App package:

@geirmat,

Could you please share the screenshot of the templates you see in the SharePoint list view for the data source list.

Sorry for extremly log response. Summer holiday time.
Rearding screenshot: It is included in the initial question, and looks like this.

Hello @geirmat,

What templates do you see in List or Library control? What library type is it? What access level do you have for that list?

Do you see edit menu icon?

This is a normal document library, inside a Teams connected SharePoint site.
My user is owner of the Team, and has full access to the library.
When I access the NEW button on the library it displays this menu:

This library is connected to a form through the list/library control. No filtering is added.
When accessing the NEW button from the form, it displays these options.

What customer wants is the same meny as displayed in the library.
Thanks

Hello @geirmat,

Thank you for the details!

That is strange, custom templates are supported by List or Library control in SharePoint Online. This is the new menu on my form:

Please try to remove the List or Library control, save the form, add the control again and connect to document library then save the form. Clear the browser cache or open the form in incognito window and check what options you have in the new menu. Make sure to perform these action using the latest desktop designer, which is 1.8.7.

Thanks for your fast response.
I have upgraded Desktop Designer (my ver was 1.8.3 - but I thought this happened automatically?).
Cache is cleared and Form is resaved - and new form created.
But still the basic menu items are displayed.

My sample form is as basic as it gets

Please advise what to check/do next.

@geirmat,

Could you please record the HAR file. It will help to troubleshoot the issue.

To record the HAR file, open Developer Tools(F12) => Network => Export HAR.

Here's how to do it in Chrome:

HAR file attachedinlr.sharepoint.com.har (560.2 KB)

Hello @geirmat,

Thank you for the HAR file, unfortunately id doesn't include the required information. Could you please record the HAR file following the steps:

• open a SharePoint list in incognito window
  • start recoding the HAR file
  • open the form with the List or Library control that is connected to a document library
  • wait until the form is fully loaded
  • stop recording the HAR file

Alternatively, you can provide us a temporary access to troubleshoot the issue. Please email us at support@plumsail.com

Sorry about this. Not so familiar with this.
Here is a new HAR file.

(It is too big to be uploaded here)
Hope this gives you what you need.

1 Like

Hello @geirmat,

Thank you for the HAR file.

I got the response from developers, looks like the issue is in the list view. Could you please create a new simple one and select it in a List or Library control settings.

You are correct that the error is related to SP views.
I have tried various alternatives now and the result is

1. If I select the default, standard view (All items) - it works.
    The customized template list is displayed.

2. If I select any other view - it does not work, and only the basic file types are displayed.
    Have tried to create views from scratch and saved the All Items view with new name. Same result.

I suspect this is not "by design" from you, so it is great if you can remove this limitation.
But for now I have a workaround.

Thanks

Hello @geirmat,

Yes, this is not "by design". Custom templates should work doesn't matter what view is selected: standard or custom one.

Could you please create a new document library from scratch, create a custom template and the view, and test if the custom templates can be selected using List or Library control. We need to understand if the issue is related to a specific library or to the tenant.

Hi again *
I have done the test you asked for.
New doc.library, no customization - except

1. Add two document templates
  2. Save default view with new name.

Forms experience is excactly the same.
Custom template menu is displayed when "All Items" view is used in library control.
If other view is selected the default MS doc type menu is displayed.

Hope this helps you get to the bottom of this.

@geirmat,

Thank you for testing! I will pass the information to developers and they will work on the updates for List or Library control that should resolve the issue.