Add items to lookup field dynamically

Hello, I am trying to add 3 default values to a lookup field control. these values only need to show on the form and should not exist in the lookup source list.

When the user selects any of the 3 values i have code that will map the selected value to an existing value in the lookup before saving.

I am wondering if I can edit the array field.widget.datasource.data to add my default values?

I tried:

fd.field('lookupName').widget.setDataSource({
            data: ['value1', 'value2', 'value3']
        });

This will add 3 undefined items to the lookup. I am not sure if this is related to the data array format i am assigning.

Any idea how to get this to work?

thanks

Dear @Talal,
Thank you for posting! That's an interesting question, but can you tell us more about your use case? It's just a little unusual, especially, that you'll map these 3 values to some other existing values - how does that work?

Why not create 3 extra values in the source list, or maybe why not show data from other column in the lookup as well, if they are connected in some way?

@Nikita_Kurguzov
The lookup list is shared across multiple groups. The list is owned and updated by a central team. this team has strict rules and like to name things in a specific way.
A new team wants to utilize this list as a lookup but they come from a different part of the business and don't agree with the naming convention.

I can probably sync the original list with another list that i can control and make changes there, but was wondering if i can get away with controlling this in the form and not having to maintain another list.

I am also interested in understanding the internal workings of the lookup control in case i need to dive deeper in it in the future.

thanks for your quick response