Error when creating New Form for New List

Good Morning,

I am having an issue where I have created a new list with a large number of columns (over 250) and have just created a new "New Form", initially with around 20 fields, however when trying to load the form by clicking the New Item button the forms seems to begin to load correctly and then instead of finishing rendering I get a red bar with the message "An error has occured. Please check the browser console (F12). when checking the console I get the errors as per the below image: -

I have reset the form and the standard OOB forms work fine, I then created a new form with just one field and again the same issue occurs.
If I create a new test list and just add a couple of columns and then create a form on that one it seems to work fine. I need help on this please.

Thanks

Dear @Tony_Duke,
Thank you for the feedback!

It seems like there is a hard limit on how large a list can be (how many columns), or it has issues with data serialization… This looks like a bug, and if we can reproduce it (which we should be able to), we’ll look into ways on how to fix it. I’ll keep you in the loop as the progress goes!

Hi Nikita,

If as you say this is a Hard Limit on how large a list can be (how many columns) is this something you will be able to fix as this will be a massive issue for us if not??

The reason we have upgraded from Forms Designer to Plumsail Forms was because of the issues in Forms Designer with the number of fields able to be displayed but Forms Designer didn’t seem to issues with the number of columns in the list. This is a list that we have had for a good while and previously had Forms Designer forms working on it with the only issues being correlation errors when we put too many fields on a form.

The list we are having issues with has 279 columns, we have another list with 249 that doesn’t hae any issues, so in the meantime I will look to see if there are some columns we can remove as many are additional columns on lookups’ that we don’t necessarily need…

Thanks

Hi Nikita,

As an update to the above, I have gone through and removed a number of columns and taken the list down to 238 columns, this is 2 less than another list we have that is working with no issues. The error still persists even if reset the form and then create a new form with just one field I get the same issue.

Thanks

Hi Nikita,

I have done a fair bit of further investigation into this one as this is a fairly critical issue for us.
The issue appears to be related to the number of Lookup columns in a list as I removed all lookup columns and had no issues with 189 columns in the list, I then began to add the Lookup columns and the form continued to load with no issues (I am only adding the Lookup columns to the list, they are not being added to the form at this stage). When I reached 18 Lookup columns in the list the error occurred, to clear the error I had to delete 3 Lookup columns and go back to 15 the form then began to load again.

Thanks

1 Like

Dear Tony,
Thank you for the investigation! We’re looking into this, and information about Lookups can be very helpful!

No Problem Nikita, a little further work and I created a list just with lookup columns and got to 20 with no problem, so it seems an issue with total number of columns and number of lookup columns.
I then created another list by importing an excel document with 200 single line of text fields and then began to add lookup columns and again the error occurred, this time at 16 lookup columns.

Thanks

Hi Nikita,

Any update on this issue?

Hi Nikita,

Still no update, could really do with knowing where we are with this as it is currently holding up a large piece of development…

Thanks

Not sure if this helps but the hard limit on Lookup fields is 12 per list. Seems very small but basically causes no end of issues if you don't know the SP limit.

Regards,
Andy