"Add new item" and filtering a calculated column

I have a filtered, multi-select lookup column that is displaying a calculated field from another list (a text formula concatenating first name, last name, and email address). I noticed the typeahead filter and "Add new item" isn't firing. Console shows that a filter on a calculated field isn't possible with the standard REST API approach:

spform.js:114 [SharePoint Forms] Error: The field 'ContactDisplay' of type 'Calculated' cannot be used in the query filter expression.

You have Documentation on using CAML filters (which can filter on a calculated column) on a List or Library control so I tried that approach but can't get it working. Is something like this possible on Lookups?

Dear @Bjorn,
Unfortunately, filtering doesn't work with Calculated fields - you'll need to apply filtering on other fields.

For example, if you have Calculated field "Full Name" = "First Name" (Single Line) + "Last Name" (Single Line), then you can filter by both First Name and Last Name fields instead. If your calculated field is "Sum" = "Price" x "Quantity", then you'll need to do filtering on both the Price and Quantity fields.

Thanks for the clarification.