Adding "Other" to a Drop Down

Hi

I am creating an application form and I have added a Drop Down field named "stCurrentSchool" that I am dynamically populating from a Excel data source. This is a list of schools that the end user will be required to select as a single option, I suspect that there will be some schools that will not be listed and therefore I would like the option to show "Other" so that when selected the end user can enter the school name not listed and this would be recorded as their current school.

I don't necessarily require the entry to be added to the dynamic list but would like the entry to be recorded as Current School.

The dynamic list is populated as.

School name 1
School name 2
School name 3
Other

I suspect that this will require some JS to hide a text field that only shows if the "stCurrentSchool" single selection is "Other". I understand the show/hide function and have used this with toggle buttons but just can't get or find code that will allow the first action.

Would this be the correct way to get this functionality or should it be done another way, as always I appreciate any guidance.

Regards

Mark

Hello @mloveridge,

Currently custom values are available for Static list data source only.

Would you consider a paid support for adding this option for external sources?

Hi mnikitina

Okay I'm not sure it warrants paid for support for the current level that we use Plumsail. We can use static lists to get the desired outcome by checking the option, "Allow user value".

When doing so the form display text is always the same, "Specify your own value:" regardless of the number of static list we use.

Just wondering if its possible to customise this text? I see that the label has a randomly generated string which is unique for each browser load so this couldn't be used to change the text dynamically on page load.

Regards

Mark

Hello @mloveridge,

You can change the text on form load using this code:

fd.rendered(function() {
    fd.field('ChoiceField').customValueTitle = 'Custom Value:'
});