How to save data in form fields to be viewed in display and edit forms

I used to use Nintex forms before and it had the feature to store the values in fields like 'Textbox', 'Dropdown'...etc in the form itself while the user inputs the data in the 'New Form'. These fields are not connected to any of the list columns.

I tried to do the same in Plumsail forms, but after I submit the form, and open it in the 'Display' or 'Edit' forms, I find these fields empty.

Please advise if there is a way to achieve that without the need to create list columns for these fields.

Thanks,
Mai

Hello @Mai,

Welcome to Plumsail Community!

Fields should be bound to SharePoint fields to store values.

Could you please provide more detail about what you want to achieve. Maybe I can suggest something else.

Hi @mnikitina,

Thanks for getting back to me!

Well, most of the times we have very long forms that contain a large number of entries but these data is not required to be stored in the list. So, we don't need to create a column for each field. Sometimes these forms are required to be printed, so the user can edit the form afterwards and print it. So, when we used to use Nintex forms, it automatically stored the field values in the form itself without the need of SP columns created, so it made things easier for us.

@Mai,

Is it a default data? Like description or headers?

If so, you can add a Plain text or Rich text control to the form and specify desired values. They will be stored in the form and will not require creation of the list columns.

I came across same issue whereby I use textbox and multilinetext as result and remark. once I save the form, the result and remark become empty in Edit and Display form. I need it to be appear in form. Rather than create it as SP fields first, how I can make this field has inputs as per before form submission?

Those empty fields got input before I click save button.

Hello @noorshahida88,

Should a user fill in these fields or should it display some permanent text?

if a user should fill in these fields, then it should be SharePoint fields to store values.

If it is a permanent text, such as headers/titles/description, you can add a Plain text or Rich text control to the form and enter text that will be a part of the form. In this case, you do not need to create a SharePoint field.

It will display value once I click the calculate button. Nevermind this fields already changed to SP fields.

If common fields cannot store data after user fill up, then what is the purpose of this fields available in designer? How to use it?

A use case for common fields which are not stored in SharePoint lists when the form is saved is to call Power Automate through an HTTP request when the form is saved and pass these common field values to it to perform some kind of process automation.

1 Like

Hello @noorshahida88,

The example shared by @stormanh is one of the ways to use a common field.

Another example is described in Populate common Drop Down field with values from any SharePoint list article.