Org Chart with two manager

Hi

Is it possible to show have two managers for the same team using the Or Chart? My firm has a management position that is shared between two people, and would therefore need show the two manager on the same level with their subordinates on the level below. I've an attached an image to help explain.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Hi @Steve1 ,
It looks like your request matches this case from our docs.
You can indeed create an Org Chart with two root nodes by adding a "dummy" top node and hiding it with JavaScript and CSS.
Please see that you need to use different CSS styles based on the layout you're using.
Please let me know if this works for you.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I've seen that article but is is not quite what I was hoping for. What I would like is two people sharing a role with reporting lines as shown in my image. Not to worry, thanks for looking into it.

Steve

@Steve,
thank you for the clarification!
Unfortunately, I don't think we can do a solid workaround for such a case. Org Chart renders a tree structure where each person can have one manager only, it is designed this way. In you case, all the team members should have two managers, currently it's not possible.

Okay, thanks for clarifying.
Steve

Hi @v.uspenskii,

Happy Friday!

I have followed the steps on how to 'Create org chart with two root managers' from the link in your message above. The manager is now hidden and the two root managers are showing, but the reports for the two root managers are not showing which is odd.
Do you know what the issue might be?

When I manually expand/click on the plus icon which is not displaying properly (highlighted), the first report card is kind of merged into the managers card and there is a line showing that should not be there -

Thank you :smiley_cat:

Hi @Rhapsidion,

It looks like the CSS masking block is not being applied correctly. Could you please share the custom CSS you are using? It would be helpful if you could also share a screenshot of the 'api.onBoxRendered' event in the 'Custom JavaScript' tab.

As for reports not being rendered on initial loading of Org Chart, this is most likely because Org Chart by default expands only one level of the structure on load. And since that first level is the fake manager, it does not work as expected. To fix this, change this setting to '2' in the 'Layout & Skin' tab:

1 Like

Hi @a.cox,

Happy Tuesday!

Okay so it's a bit more complicated - because their HR system will only allow one direct Manager, I couldn't create a dummy Manager for the two specific reports I want to show with their reports. What I did was filter on their Manager in 'Filtration', then hide their Manager as well as his other reports so I just ended up with the two specific reports I want showing up in the Org Chart.

I applied the three different CSS options to see which worked better & the end result was this one:

.hiddenElements {
overflow: hidden;
margin: 0 !important
}

.maskingBlock {
display: block;
width: 100%;
height: 70px;
background-color: white;
position: absolute;
left: 0;
top: 0
}

This is the Custom JavaScript I used to hide the Manager & his other reports - the version of Plumsail they're using is earlier than 4.x.x:

renderer.onBoxRendered(function(event, box, itemData){
if (itemData["PreferredName"].contains("Managers Surname, Managers Name")) {
box.$elem.hide();
$("div.poch-group").addClass("hiddenElements");
$("div.poch-node").prepend('

');
}
});

For the reports not being rendered - I did actually change the number of levels to expand to 2 but it still only shows the two specific reports. I changed the number of levels to expand to 3, but that didn't work as it showed all of the Managers direct reports reports (if that makes sense)

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it! :smiley_cat:

Hi @Rhapsidion,

As far as I know, the only possible way to create an Org Chart with two root managers is to use the workaround with creating a fake manager. Sadly, there is currently no support for creating an Org Chart with multiple root managers. I will check with our developers to see if they can offer some workaround.