Profile Picture missing

After updating to latest version (2.3.1) of Plumsail Org Chart, no profile pictures appears anymore. The source is User Profile and Box Template Photo URL is set to ‘PictureURL (PictureURL)’. Instead of Profile Picture, just the gray Sharepoint Image holder is visible. Any tip?

Hi Ona,

Please open developer tools of your browser (F12), navigate to Console tab, reproduce the issue and send us a screenshot of the Console tab.

This will help us to solve the issue faster.

Best regards
Anton Khritonenkov

I’m posting here resolution after direct communication via help desk.

After researching the issue the reason was found. It was related to test and production farms configuration. The issue is not related to Org Chart. After resolving it pictures were displayed correctly.

Best regards,
Anton Khritonenkov
Plumsail Team

Hi Support Team. Looks like we have the same issue. Can you provide the way the issue can be solved? Thx, Markus

Hi @Markus1,

Thank you for your message.

What is your version of Plumsail Org Chart? Is it Org Chart for Office 365 or Org Chart for SharePoint 2013/2016?

If the first case the possible reason may be related to synchronization of pictures between Office 365 Delve and SharePoint. Sometimes when picture exists in Delve, it doesn’t exist in SharePoint.

If your version is On-Premises SharePoint 2013/2016, then the issue may be related to the synchronization of pictures between SharePoint user profiles and Active Directly.

Could you describe your specific case and the source of your pictures?

Hi Anton

Our version for the SP2016 on perm platfrom is: Plumsail Org Chart 2.2.30. Pictures have been displayed. Then I switched in ‘Tooltip Template’ to ‘HTML Mode’ and pictures disappeared. Thx for your help. Cheers, Markus

Hi @Markus1

Could you share the HTML template that was generated when you switched?

Also, if you switch back from HTML mode, do the pictures appear?

If not, send me the screenshot of the Tooltip template step of the wizard as well.

Hi @Markus1, re your earlier comment "If the first case the possible reason may be related to synchronization of pictures between Office 365 Delve and SharePoint. Sometimes when picture exists in Delve, it doesn’t exist in SharePoint.".
This is exactly our case (Org Chart for Office 365). I understand this is not an Org Chart issue but can you possibly provide for a pointer to a Tech note that describes a solution? Alternatively, maybe you know if the issue is resolved as we are now in April '20?

Hi @Jan-Ru,
As of today, this article is probably the best explanation of the user profile picture sync in Office365 environment.
Also, this discussion provides links to some actionable scenarios on picture sync, however, you can see that the most painless options include using PowerShell script.
For most of the cases, the issue resolves itself after a few days when the syncing process is complete.

However, funny enough, the most common advice in this situation is to advise users to open their Delve profiles:
During the page-load of Me.aspx, a request is made for the large thumbnail photo. This generates a call to Exchange Online for the user’s profile picture.
If the user has an Exchange Online mailbox, and the mailbox contains a profile picture for the user, SharePoint Online will request the picture from Exchange Online.
Then SharePoint Online creates a small, medium, and large thumbnail photo from the picture that was returned from Exchange Online. The photos are saved in a folder in the User Photos Library for the My Site Host site collection.
As you've correctly pointed out, Plumsail Org Chart is a SharePoint app and can't assist in syncing the data between SharePoint and Delve profiles. However, I believe that the abovementioned links cover most of the cases as of today. Please let us know if those solutions work for you!

Hi Vladimir, in our scenario it is not practical to ask all users to open their Delve profiles. I will pursue an option using a PowerShell script. Thank you for the references. Will get back to you with my findings.