Search Results Not Showing


I just installed the org chart on O365. Everything is working except the search results return nothing.

I am connected to a SharePoint list and trying to search by the employee name or ID. Both fields are available in the list, indexed, and added to the search results configuration.

Is there anything I’m missing?

Hi @jbotello,

Could you open developer tools of your browser (F12), navigate to “Console” tab, reproduce the issue and send us a screenshot of the “Console” tab and of the web part?

Additionally, please send us a screenshot of the “Data source settings” tab of the configuration wizard.


Thanks for the reply. I’m not able to upload attachments as I just registered on this community yesterday. I’ve uploaded the screenshots as well as a formatted export of the browser console to a shared Dropbox folder (I hope that’s acceptable here).

This is a large list with about 10,500 records. I’ve got indices built on the [Position-HBU] column as well as the [Parent_Position_ID] column which are set as the ID and manager ID columns in the data source settings.

Thanks again.


I’ve found the problem. I’m running into the list view limit on SharePoint 365. I guess I need to figure out how to search against a filtered view.

Thanks for the help.

Hi @jbotello,

Org Chart uses all fields from filed mappings (Data source step) plus fields that are used in box, tooltip, search result templates in search.

Thus, there are two options for you:

  1. Add indexes for all those fields.
  2. Or request our paid support. Our paid support team can add option to control fields that are used in search. It should not take a loot of support hours. Send your request to if you are interested.

Hi @jbotello,

We just released the new version of Org Chart. Now you can enable option "Search only in indexed list columns" in the web part configuration. It will allow Org Chart search to work properly in Org Chart with more than 5000 list items.