SharePoint doesn't search the ID column

SharePoint doesn't search by the ID column of a list. I am using the ID column as the "number" for a ticketing system.

I tried to use a calculated field to that just showed the ID column value, but you can't use the ID in a formula.

I can use a Power Automate to update a text field with the ID column, but that will count as a "modification" of the item and thus result in another flow sending out an email to the users.

What method does Plumsail use for such a problem?
Do you generate your own ID?
Any suggestions?

Hello @smithme,

What do you mean with this?

Do you need to filter values within Lookup field or List or Library control?

You can use ID in a formula. The ID column is not listed, but you can add it like this:

As always, thank you for your quick response.

My users want to be able to search for tickets by the ID in the list view.

Screenshot 2021-05-11 082916

To search a list id column you have to preface the id # with "listitemid:", so if you search by "listitemid:1403" then SharePoint will find the item.

I used your idea and created a calculated field with a formula "=ID".

Screenshot 2021-05-11 083526

As a string field, the user gets the search box when they try to filter on the column.

Screenshot 2021-05-11 083553

If I make the Ticket column a number then the user no longer gets the filter box.

However, no matter what data type I used the filter doesn't seem to find anything, even when I know that the value is there. I think that is because the column needs an index, but SharePoint will not let me select the Ticket field to index when it is a text field.


This is the only option to search by item ID.

As a workaround, you can update a text field with the item ID pass and add a condition to trigger workflow only when the text field is not blank.