Chart vs Multiple Selections column

I have a chart that I want to count project types. Each project may have multiple types. For example:

Name Type

Project A Build
Project B Build; Design

My chart should show that “Build” has 2 entries and “Design” has 1 entry. Right now it doesn’t. Can someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Hello!
So I've tried to recreate your list, using Lookup field to choose multiple Project Types. If you are using Choice with multiple select options, let me know, the code will need to be modified a bit.

Here's my list:

And here's my chart:

First, enter the Dashboard Designer Data Source configuration and select the column where your values are stored:

What you need to do, in order to count the number of different values selected with Multiple Lookup, is modify the JavaScript code in Data Source Advanced tab of Dashboard Designer:

Add this code right inside handlers.requestSuccess = function(data, logger) {

var list = [];
  for (var i = 0; i < data.items.length; i++)
  {
      for (var j = 0; j < data.items[i]._Project_x0020_Type.length; j++)
      {
        list.push(data.items[i]._Project_x0020_Type[j].get_lookupValue());
      }
  }

function myElement(Project_x0020_Type){
    this.Project_x0020_Type = Project_x0020_Type;
   }

for (var i = 0; i < list.length; i++)
  {
    data.items[i] = new myElement(list[i]);
  }
  return true;

Be careful with this code. Project_x0020_Type you need to replace with the correct name of your column.

Next, make sure aggregation is selected for your column and process the Data:

In Dashboard Designer Tab, you can preview the results and make sure everything is configured as you desire:

Tell us if that helped!

Cheers

What would the code look like if it were a choice with multiple selections in SharePoint Online modern experience?

I note that **_**Project_x0020_Type may not be available.
I also understand that JavaScript Client Object Model is not supported with modern experience, so get_choices() or get_lookupValue() would not be callable?