Migrating Helpdesk

We installed the solution to an existing modern communication site which appears to be causing some issues between the modern and classic experience. I believe we need to move everything to its own site collection dedicated for Helpdesk. Do you have any tips on how to do this? We use ShareGate for typical migrations.

Hello @jaymzyates,

Indeed, HelpDesk is designed for classic experience and you may have noted that sometimes HelpDesk switches to modern view on modern sites. However, it’s the only issue we are aware of in respect of using HelpDesk on modern sites.

I noticed that you purchased HelpDesk just a few days ago. I would like to mention that the license allows you to create an unlimited number of HelpDesk instances within your SharePoint domain name. So, in case if you are doubting, I would like to assure you that you can just create a new instance without deleting the existing one.

As the instance is new, I suggest it’s more about migrating HelpDesk settings then the tickets, is it correct?

Triggers list supports Quick edit mode (Site Contents -> Triggers List). So, you can modify the list view to display all the columns with changes and then copy and paste triggers using quick edit. It will include changes in triggers.

Columns you would need to move manually or programmatically using programmatic provision like PnP provisioning framework.

To copy tickets you can switch the tickets list view in both instances into Quick Edit mode and copy-paste the data. Please, note that only metadata e.g. Status, Subject, Priority, etc. will be imported, not comments.

Anna Dorokhova
Plumsail Team